Backend Engineer (PHP)
Note: Although this is a remote position, we are only seeking candidates in European/African timezones between UTC-1 and UTC+3 to facilitate overlap of working hours.
At PSP Media we develop cloud-based software solutions for the sports industry, enabling clubs and associations to bring their coaching education and administration online. We are soon launching training.app, our B2C platform for sports coaches of all levels anywhere in the world, helping them to improve their coaching by giving them access to high-quality coaching content across all their devices.
As a Backend Engineer you implement new features in our platforms and at the same time transition the remaining monolithic parts into a service-oriented and message-driven architecture. You help to improve the availability and resilience of our offerings not only by writing robust code but also by establishing fully automated build and deployment as well as monitoring processes for our different services.
- Understand complex business requirements and help breaking them down into digestible user stories as well as deciding on technologies and architecture for their implementation.
- Implement robust and maintainable services in PHP (Laravel), Python, Node.js and other languages of choice.
- Plan and execute the migration from MySQL to non-relational data stores such as key-value stores, document or graph databases where beneficial.
- Design consistent but flexible APIs with backward and forward compatibility in mind.
- Support the design and implementation of build and deployment pipelines using containerization and orchestration as well as serverless computing.
The budgeted compensation range for this role is €40,000 to €55,000 annually. The actual compensation offered will be based on relative experience and skills, location and employment type. At this time we are only able to provide official employment status to those located in Malta. All other team members will join as full-time consultants and will be responsible for paying any taxes or applicable fees where they reside.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years experience in developing large web applications with PHP, applying OOP/SOLID principles.
- Feeling very comfortable in a Linux environment and working with tools like Git.
- Deep understanding of service-oriented and message-driven architecture, SQL/NoSQL data stores, containerization, test automation, continuous integration/deployment, cloud computing, security and networking.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.
- Proficient user of the Laravel PHP framework.
- Proficient user of SQL, ideally MySQL, and experience with at least one non-relational data store such as Redis, DynamoDB, MongoDB or Neo4j.
- Working experience with one or more general purpose programming languages such as Python or Go.
- Working experience with the most common AWS services such as EC2, ECS, S3, CloudFront, SNS, SQS, IAM, CloudFormation and Lambda.
- Good to have knowledge: CQRS, DDD, TDD, Elasticsearch, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes.